As you probably know, on the 22nd of every month, Studio Calico offers a new class. The most recent one - Design School - is particularly cool, I think. The teacher is Catherine Davis, the Product Manager at SC and fellow CT member since 2012. I also had the pleasure to meet Catherine at Camp Calico in May 2013 and - if you are not familiar with her work, yet - that girl is amazingly talented!
In her Design School class, Catherine reveals tips and tricks for structuring your page designs, creating movement on your page, using typography as a design element, and more. You’ll basically learn everything you need to know to make confident design choices and stay inspired to create gorgeous layouts.
What You'll Learn
- MOVEMENT - Explore how to create movement and draw your viewer's eye through your work with specific arrangements of design elements.
- EDITING - The decision of what elements should take part in your work and what needs to be left out is a design fundamental.
- TYPOGRAPHY - Review how typography can enhance your memory keeping, and how to use type as a focal point on a project.
- PATTERN - Learn how to make impactful decisions on choosing product, pairing elements on projects and creating patterns through techniques.
- SCALE - Learn how the relationship of different design elements is impacted by decisions about scale, size & proportion, and how to use scale to make an impact.
- COLOR - Dive into how color & color combos can affect your layouts.
While supplies last, Design School students will also receive a free workbook to hold class inspiration. Each lesson has its own section with room for lesson notes, page ideas and sketches - use it to record what you learn in class and you'll have a great reference tool. The workbook is sized to fit in a Traveler's Notebook, and will ship to students for free.
Catherine's focus is on scrapbook pages but I do think her professional viewpoint (she's been a newspaper designer before she started to work at SC fulltime) and often simple but oh-so-clever techniques can be applied to anything from cards to PL spreads and photobook designs.
You can sign up for this class until midnight EST on July 15th. Will you join me?
Writing of classrooms, I will be returning to Big Picture Classes as a teacher!! More on that is coming soon :)